Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mexico Missions Trip

I promised a post about Mexico to those I emailed, so here it is.

This is from a journal I took Saturday, our first day, most of which we spent traveling. These are just some first impressions.

At about 5 P.M. local time we split up into three cars and drove to see the construction and medical/dental work sites. The construction site is the church/school in Santa Ana. Not only the church and school itself, but the entire community around it has immensely improved from the team's last visit. It's funny, there are some aspects of the school that are being renovated that are beautiful, such as the arched brick ceiling, while at the same time the floor and walls are an ugly unpainted concrete. Even in the community there's a strange contrast of poverty and one nice house. From the school to the medical clinic site there is a beautiful house painted golden/yellow with a gate, courtyard, and garage, and next to it is a concrete house with a tarp for a roof. The one thing that strikes me most is the attitude of the people. I've never seen such incredible poverty, while at the same time people so happy and content. They are so thankful for what they have, even though it's practically nothing.

*******************


Somethings that really helped me as well as a lot of the team members emotionally were the morning and evening team meetings, and the devotionals that we as a team had started.

My personal favorite devotional was one about having a "so what" attitude about the simple things in life that we take for granted. This was especially powerful while in Mexico and being able to see the people who practically have nothing compared to us.
It's really incredible to think of how blessed I am to not only live in a beautiful home with so much convenience, but also to be born into a God loving and teaching home. It's mind boggling when you comprehend that along with the poverty of the people that are not even that far apart distance wise. When I hear or think of this incredible poverty, I usually relate it to someplace far far away on the other side of the world, but the truth is, it's right here below us, only a hour in time difference, just a few hours plane ride.


If I were to explain everything I learned spiritually it'd take me at least a couple hours just to summarize it. So... I'll post more and explain more of what the trip was like when I get pictures.

~Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment